Video Game Characters are in demand now a days. You know what they say: you can’t please everyone. But certain elements are universally agreed upon when creating a great video game character. A great video game character must be relatable, interesting, and above all else, fun. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the 20 best video game characters based on these criteria. From classics like Mario and Sonic to more recent additions like Tracer and Bayonetta, these characters are sure to please any gaming fan.
Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Mario (Super Mario Bros.) – Mario is a video game character created by Nintendo who stars in the eponymous series of video games. The first game in the series, Super Mario Bros., was released in 1985 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Since then, Mario has become one of the most recognizable and iconic characters in gaming, appearing in over 200 video games. He has also been featured in films, television shows, comics, and toys. Many consider Mario the face of Nintendo and one of the most important figures in video gaming as a whole.
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
Solid Snake is the best video game character ever. He’s a legendary soldier involved in some of the most iconic moments in gaming history. He’s a master of infiltration and stealth and an expert marksman. He’s also got a great sense of humor and is not afraid to show it.
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Though she may not be the first female protagonist in video games, Samus Aran is certainly one of the most well-known. The Metroid series follows Samus as she fights to protect the galaxy from the evil Space Pirates and their leader, Ridley. Samus is an incredibly skilled bounty hunter, and her suit allows her to do things like shoot missiles and roll into a ball. She’s also got a pretty badass backstory – she was orphaned as a child and raised by the Chozo, an ancient race of bird-like beings.
Samus is one of the best video game characters ever – she’s strong, independent, and capable. She’s also been praised for being a positive role model for women in gaming. We love Samus!
Master Chief (Halo)
Master Chief is the protagonist of the Halo video game series. He is a super soldier who fights the alien Covenant. Master Chief is one of the most popular video game characters ever created. He has starred in several Halo games and has been a part of many other Halo media projects.
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
If there’s one video game character who embodies the term “cool,” it’s Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII. He’s the definition of a badass, with his flowing blonde hair, big sword, and stoic demeanor. But what makes Cloud stand out is his backstory. A former member of the elite SOLDIER unit, Cloud left behind his past to become a mercenary. He’s got a chip on his shoulder, but he’s also got a heart of gold. And when the going gets tough, he’s always ready to fight for what’s right.
Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
- Morrigan Aensland is a powerful succubus and one of the main protagonists of Capcom’s Darkstalkers series. She is often considered one of the most popular and iconic characters in the fighting game genre.
- Morrigan was born in Scotland over 1000 years ago. Her mother, Belial Aensland, was a powerful demon lord who ruled over the Nether Realm. However, when Belial attempted to take over the human world, she was defeated by a group of humans known as the Night Warriors. As punishment for her crimes, Belial was sealed away in another dimension by the Night Warriors.
- With her mother gone, Morrigan inherited her title as ruler of the Nether Realm. However, she was not content with ruling over just one realm and decided to explore other dimensions. During her travels, she met Demitri Maximoff, another powerful vampire who would become one of her closest allies (and occasional lover).
- Throughout the series, Morrigan is shown to be a very seductive and playful character. She often uses her charms to get what she wants from others. However, she is also a powerful fighter who is not underestimated. She is one of the few characters who has been able to go toe-to-toe with some of the strongest fighters in the franchise, such as Dante and Ryu Hayabusa.
- While Morrigan may not be the most morally upright character out there.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Lara Croft is one of the most iconic video game characters. She first appeared in the 1996 game “Tomb Raider” and has since appeared in numerous sequels and spin-offs. She is known for her acrobatic skills, a vast array of weaponry, and fearless attitude.
Lara Croft is one of the few female protagonists in video games, and she has been widely praised for her strong character. In 2013, she was inducted into the Walk of Games alongside other gaming legends such as Mario and Link.
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Chun-Li is one of the original Street Fighter characters, and she’s remained popular throughout the years. She’s known for her lightning-fast kicks and investigative work as a journalist. Chun-Li is a powerful fighter who always stands up for what’s right, making her an excellent role model for players of all ages.
Joel (The Last of Us)
Joel is the main protagonist of Naughty Dog’s post-apocalyptic action-adventure game, The Last of Us. He is a middle-aged man who has lost everything in the outbreak of a cordyceps fungus that has ravaged the world. Joel is a survivor who will do whatever it takes to protect those he cares for. He is a complicated character who is both deeply flawed and incredibly heroic. Joel is one of the most believable and well-developed characters in video games, and his story is one of the most emotionally powerful.
Joel is the protagonist of Naughty Dog’s 2013 action-adventure game, The Last of Us. He is voiced and performed by actor Troy Baker. Joel is a survivor of the Cordyceps Brain Infection outbreak, which occurred twenty years before the events of The Last of Us. Before the outbreak, Joel was a single father living in Austin, Texas, with his daughter Sarah. When the outbreak struck, Joel was forced to do whatever it took to survive. This included becoming a ruthless killer. Over the next twenty years, Joel hardened into a cold and calculating survivalist.
When we first meet Joel in The Last of Us, he is hired by a rebel group known as the Fireflies to escort a young girl named Ellie out of military-occupied Boston. Ellie is infected with the Cordyceps virus but does not yet show any symptoms. The Fireflies believe that she may hold the key to creating a cure for the infection. Throughout their journey together, Joel and Ellie form a strong bond. By the end of the game, Joel has come to see Ellie as his daughter and is willing to sacrifice anything to keep her safe.
While some gamers found Joel’s character arc predictable or uninteresting, I thought he was one of the most well-developed characters in any video game. His backstory was tragic but believable, and his relationship with Ellie felt real and earned. I also loved
Nathan Drake (Unch)
- Nathan Drake is the undisputed king of the Uncharted series. He’s a globetrotting treasure hunter with a quick wit, sharp tongue, and even sharper aim. He’s also got a heart of gold and will go to great lengths to help his friends and family. Nathan Drake is the perfect blend of smartassery and heroism, and we can’t get enough of him.
- There are few video game characters as iconic as Nathan Drake. The star of the Uncharted series, Drake is a treasure hunter with a knack for getting into (and out of) trouble. He’s smart, resourceful, and always ready for a fight, making him the perfect protagonist for an action-packed adventure game.
- Drake’s first appearance was in Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, where he set out to find the fabled El Dorado treasure. Since then, he’s gone on to star in three more Uncharted games, each more thrilling than the last. Whether scaling cliff faces or shooting his way out of a sticky situation, Drake is always up for a good time – even if it means putting his life on the line.
- Loveable, brave, and always ready for a good time, Nathan Drake is one of the best video game characters ever created.